When looking for wireless routers for home use you are typically looking to balance the cost against the speed and house size to get the best option. This post is aimed at helping you choose a good starter router which can support at least HD (1080p) streaming to 3-6 devices.
Starting in this range fits the overall needs of a house in today’s high-speed streaming world culture. It will ensure you can access your Xbox games while someone else, or maybe you, is running a video from Netflix on an iPad.
|Top||TP-Link AC1200 Smart WiFi Router – 5GHz Gigabit Dual Band MU-MIMO Wireless Internet Router, Long Range Coverage by 4 Antennas(Archer A6)||Prime||Buy Now|
|Top||Google WiFi system, 1-Pack – Router replacement for whole home coverage – NLS-1304-25||Prime||Buy Now|
|Top||ASUS Dual-Band 2×2 AC1300 Super-Fast Wifi 4-port Gigabit Router with MU-MIMO and USB 3.0 (RT-ACRH13)||Prime||Buy Now|
|Top Top||Linksys Max-Stream AC2200 MU-MIMO Tri-Band Wireless Router, Works with Amazon Al||Prime||Buy Now|
|Top||Medialink AC1200 Wireless Gigabit Router – Gigabit (1000 Mbps) Wired Speed & AC 1200 Mbps Combined Wireless Speed (Part# MLWR-AC1200R)||Prime||Buy Now|
TP-Link AC1200 Smart WiFi Router
The Archer A6 creates a reliable and blazing-fast network powered by 802.11ac WiFi technology. The 2.4 GHz band delivers speeds up to 300 Mbps giving you faster email and web browsing, while the 5 GHz band delivers speeds up to 867 Mbps for lag-free online gaming and HD video streaming.
Four external antennas, one internal antenna, and a powerful chipset work together to send WiFi to every corner of your home. Stay connected and enjoy fast WiFi whether you’re lounging on the sofa or relaxing on the balcony.
Features Of The TP-Link AC1200
- Dual-band router upgrades to 1200 Mbps high-speed internet(300Mbps for 2.4GHz + 900Mbps for 5GHz), reducing buffering and ideal for 4K stream
- Gigabit router with 4 gigabit LAN ports, ideal for any internet plan and allow you to directly connect your wired devices
- MU MIMO technology (5GHz band) allows high speeds for multiple devices simultaneously
- AP mode, can be switched to access point mode to share your internet wirelessly
- TP-Link Tether app easily set up and manage your home network at home or remotely
- Industry-leading 2 year warranty and FREE 24/7 technical support
Pros For The TP-Link AC1200
Easy To Use Configuration Utility – The setup is straight forward and simple to complete without needing a complex booklet
Strong Signal Strength – Strong ability to connect multiple devices and maintain good connections
Google WiFi System
Enjoy a fast signal in every room, on every device. Google Wi-Fi is a new type of connected system that replaces your router for seamless coverage throughout your home. It is a standalone whole home mesh system which does not promise compatibility or interoperability with other 3rd party Wifi systems. But compatible with all Wifi client devices.
Features Of The Google WiFi System
- A new type of connected system that replaces your router for seamless WiFi coverage throughout your home, helping eliminate dead zones and buffering
- Network Assist technology keeps your connection fast by always selecting the clearest channel and fastest band for your devices; WiFi throughput: 1200 Mpbs
- A simple app gets you set up quickly and allows you to see what’s connected, prioritize devices, and pause the WiFi on kids’ devices
- A single WiFi point covers up to 1,500 square feet, a set of three covers homes up to 4,500 square feet WiFi points work together so you can add more if you need additional coverage
- 24/7 phone support from Google; 1-year warranty; Material: Plastic
Pros For The Google WiFi System
Ease Of Setup – Can be configured from your phone or tablet in seconds
Fast Speeds – Running both 2.4 and 5Ghz results in very fast transfer speeds and connectivity
ASUS Dual-Band 2×2 AC1300
Upgrade to AC Wifi for your bandwidth-hungry devices with the dual-band ASUS RT-ACRH13. Phones and tablets are free to roam throughout the home thanks to four external antennas that enhance coverage and stability. Easy, intuitive setup and network management are at your fingertips with ASUSWRT and the ASUS Router App.
Features Of The ASUS Dual-Band 2×2 AC1300
- Dual-band AC1300 with the latest 2×2 MU-MIMO technology for combined speeds of up to 1267 Mbps
- Four external 5dBi antennas for improved Wi-Fi range and multi-device performance. Connected devices must be 802.11ac-compatible for best results
- Monitor and manage your network with ease from your mobile device using the intuitive ASUS Router App
- Effortless router setup with the ASUSWRT web-based interface, Super-Fast Wi-Fi – Dual-band 802.11ac Wi-Fi with concurrent speeds up to 867Mbps (5GHz) and 400Mbps (2.4GHz)
- Integrated USB 3.0 port allows you to share external drives/flash drives with your network. OS Support- Windows 10, 8, 8.1, 7, Mac OS X 10.1, 10.4, 10.5, 10.6, 10.7, 10.8. Operation mode-Wireless router mode, Access point mode
- Encryption: 64-bit WEP, 128-bit WEP, WPA2-PSK, WPA-PSK, WPA-Enterprise , WPS support
Pros For The ASUS Dual-Band 2×2 AC1300
Fast Performance For 10+ Devices – Reviews attes they are able to maintain speed and performance for months with many devices without lag and performance drops
Large Coverage Area – Reports say that they could cover up to 3000+ sq foot houses with this Wireless Router!
Linksys Max-Stream AC2200 MU-MIMO (Renewed)
The reason I listed a renewed device is that this Wireless router typically goes for $125 but you can get it for a sweet deal by going this route. This is how you jump categories and get more elite-level performance but at a budget price!
Features Of The Linksys Max-Stream AC2200 MU-MIMO
- Works with Alexa
- Intelligent tri-band router with -speed Wi-Fi bands up to 2. 2 Gaps. “Smart connect” Intelligently chooses the best radio band for your wireless
- Mu-mimo+ Airtime Fairness improves Ming with 6 high power amplifiers focus and maximizes performance and coverage for Both 2. 4GHz & 5GHz
- 4 external antennas expand Wi-Fi than standard Ethernet for printers, game consoles, and Smart TVs. Auto firmware updates always keep your router updated with latest features and security measures
Pros For The Linksys Max-Stream AC2200 MU-MIMO
Super Fast Connection – Ability to host multiple devices with exceedingly fast performance
Set Up Speed – Up and configured within minutes
Medialink AC1200 Wireless Gigabit Router
AC Wi-Fi provides larger-home coverage with Gigabit wired connections. Avoid wireless interference with simultaneous Dual Band technology. This router provides Wi-Fi coverage to many corners of a big home. You can also extend existing Wi-Fi signals With the router’s universal range extender mode.
The Medialink-ac1200r makes sharing across your network even simpler. Quickly access stored photos & music across devices. It supports the latest security features, to help ensure your privacy & make sure that your family is safer while online. Parents & admins can manage Internet filtering & control bandwidth for devices.
Features Of The Medialink AC1200 Wireless Gigabit Router
- 10X’S THE SPEED: Most routers in this price range have only “Fast Ethernet” ports that max out at 100Mbps. Our router has Gigabit ports to give you 1,000Mbps for lag-free 4K video streaming & gaming.
- RANGE: Beamforming and 2 high powered antennas work together to cover larger homes by focusing the wireless signal directly to your device
- SAFE: Robust firewall and wireless security keeps out unwanted visitors while Guest Network access gives a separate safe and secure connection to guests
- FULL CONTROL: Are the router lights too bright? Turn them off! Are your kids staying online too late at night? Restrict access to only the times you want
- RANGE EXTENDER: Extend any existing wireless network using the Universal Range Extender Mode to cover even larger areas & keep all your devices on the same network
Pros For The Medialink AC1200 Wireless Gigabit Router
VPN Option Available – Able to configure the VPN connectivity directly on the Wireless Router
Easy Disable WiFi – You have the ability to easily turn off the WiFi functionality if you are needing to, for vacation, etc
Final Thoughts on Wireless Routers for Home
Choosing any of the wireless routers from our lists above will provide you very good service at a budget or affordable price tag. These will have a decent life for the current hardware as long as you aren’t looking to stream 4K video and super high-resolution gaming.
I would say the Linksys has the longest life next to Google as to devices which will provide you longevity over the next few years. Just note that technology is always moving forward and when you purchase in the budget realm they have fewer updates and patches to increase performance.